Alkaline broth – an easy, delicious way to add more nutrients to your day without adding extra calories or fiber between meals. If you are participating in a CambiatiCleanse (and even if you’re not), this punch of veggies can energize and help you feel your best.
Flavor variations are almost endless here. Choose what you like and roughly balance your selections between 1/3 root, 1/3 non-starchy crunchy, and 1/3 non-starchy leafy. You can also add herbs and spices that suit your fancy.
Remember to choose organic veggies whenever you can! Always aim for organic with veggies known to typically have higher levels of pesticide residue. If it’s one of the “dirty dozen” go organic!
Here are a few ideas to get your juices flowing:
- sweet potatoes, yams, potatoes, parsnips, beets (adds a pretty color and a touch of sweetness), carrots
- celery, onion, zucchini/summer squash, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, red or green peppers, garlic, jalapeno (if you like it spicy!), ginger
- spinach, kale, collard greens, dandelion greens, parsley, cilantro, basil
Herbs & Spices
- anything you like! dill, oregano, rosemary, thyme, chives
Other Fun Additions
- a 1/2 cup of whole flax
- a few handfuls of any kind of dried seaweed (seaweed is a particularly awesome way to further boost the nutrient content of your broth!)
When you’ve selected your veggies of choice (and any herbs, spices or additions), no need to peel, just scrub/clean and rough cut before placing into a large soup pot. Fill the pot with fresh water and bring full mixture to boil. Simmer for 4-6 hours, then strain the broth. The vegetable remnants (yeah, it will be a mushy pile), can be composted or discarded. Enjoy your mineral broth fresh for 2-3 days. Or freeze in glass jars (about 2/3rds full) to use later.
And that’s it! Easy, right? Maybe some of you are saying to yourself, sounds great Lorie, but I don’t have the time or energy to do this. Well, we always have alternatives! Another great option would be adding a teaspoon or two of Paleogreens to your water throughout the day. Paleogreens come in three flavors – Lemon Lime, Mint or Unflavored (although Lemon Lime is the biggest hit here at Cambiati). Just 2 teaspoons delivers the phytonutrient equivalent of 4 servings of organic veggies.
Take away ~ increase your daily veggie intake to 7-10 servings per day and watch what a difference it makes in your well being.