Buffalo Spinach Meatballs
At last, a way to get the whole family to eat spinach! These meatballs are very easy to make and can be stored in the freezer for up to a month. They’d be great to bring to a party as an appetizer or delicious over Broccoli Slaw Pasta.
Prep time: 25 min (+1 hour to chill)
Cook time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6-8 (yields approx 2 dozen meatballs)
- 1 bunch organic spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic basil, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- chili pepper to taste as desired for heat
- 1 cup onion, very finely chopped
- 3 lg. fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs ground grass fed buffalo (beef or turkey would also work!)
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted gluten free crackers
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
In a small bowl, smash crackers into small bits; pour milk over it and set aside. In a large bowl, combine spinach, egg, pepper, yeast, onion and garlic. Blend in bison, mix well. Mash cracker mixture to form a paste and add to bison mixture. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350. Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown half the meatballs, a few minutes on each side. Transfer to a cookie sheet that’s large enough to hold all of the meatballs. Repeat browning of meatballs with remaining oil. Transfer cookie sheet to oven to finish cooking; about 20 minutes. Serve warm.