The End of Holiday Meals…
So, last night I realized with joy that FINALLY all holiday leftovers were gone, finito, out the door! It was time for something different for dinner. What to make? Especially on Day 1 of a renewed commitment to clean, healthy eating for myself and the family. Chicken soup, with a Mexican twist came to mind. It was delicious, easy and satisfying, so I’m sharing my creation with all of you.
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 cups of cooked chicken (organic, free range – best quality you can find!)
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup of organic corn
- 4 diced fresh tomatoes (or 1 can of organic diced tomatoes)
- jalapenos or green chilis (depending on your “heat tolerance”)
- 1 container of organic chicken or vegetable broth
- Seasonings to taste: salt, chili powder
- Cilantro and/or avocado slices for garnish
Sautee the onion and red pepper in the teaspoon of oil for 2-3 minutes and then add the other ingredients. Bring to light boil and then simmer. Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro and/or avocado. Delicious served with a CambiatiClean salad. (And, to be honest, I had it for breakfast this morning too….)
Feel free to add any other non-starchy vegetables to the soup – shredded carrots or zucchini, perhaps kale or spinach – all delicious possible additions.