- 2 heads of cabbage, cored and sliced
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- Salt according to the ratio of 3 tablespoons per 5 lbs of vegetables
- Slice the cabbage into 1/8 inch ribbons
- Use the same setting to slice the onion. & grate carrots in a food processor
- Seed, core, and chop the Jalapenos.
- Put all the vegetables, along with the oregano and pepper flakes in to a huge bowl and mix well.
- Weight contents of the bowl on a kitchen scale.
- At this point, start adding the salt according to a 3 tablespoons salt per 5 lbs of vegetable ratio. Mix the salt in slowly and massage and pound the contents of the bowl.
- Continue to pound and squeeze for about 10 minutes to release all the water.
- Transfer the contents of the bowl to a mason jar and smash the veggies down with your fist so that you have about 2 inches of brine covering them on the top.
- Seal the jar and store in a dark place for at least 5 or 2 weeks if you want more benefits from the gut healing probiotics
Enjoy on its own or as a topping to any of your dishes and enjoy the probiotic benefits.
Original recipe from: http://www.southbeachprimal.com/fermented-curtido-salvadorian-sauerkraut/