These are fast, easy, and nutritious. The prep time is around 15 minutes with an Instant Pot so it is Rebecca approved on that front. You could certainly make this using the stovetop and oven as well but if you have a pressure cooker like the Instant Pot it will be so much faster. It also passes the taste test with flying colors.
One thing to note is that often when you buy a butternut squash it is too big so I took half of it with two cloves of garlic, salt and pepper and roasted it in the oven and used the other half in this recipe. Another thing to keep in mind is that butternut squash and sweet potato are both high fiber carbs. On average this recipe has 1/2 cup of carbs so if you want to do less serve over cauliflower “rice”.
I also forgot to buy chili powder so I made my own. The recipe is below as well but you can save yourself time by buying chili powder.
Make Your Own Chili Powder (or just buy one)
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika (I did 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp regular paprika)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Mix and save the rest for the next time that you need it.
Sloppy Joe on Sweet Potato Canoe (serves 4-6 depending on sex and goals)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey (you can also grind organ meats to hide them in this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons of the chili mix above
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of water (if needed)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cup into 1 inch cubes (you can use frozen butternut squash)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon spicy brown mustard (if you don’t have Candida and you aren’t cleansing)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 small sweet potatoes, pierced with a fork (cut in half if too large so they cook in time)
- Optional garnish of chopped green onions
- Put olive oil in the Instant Pot and press sauté. Once it is hot add the onion and turkey. Brown the turkey while breaking apart with a wooden spatula. Hopefully this browns in about 8 minutes but mine had too much liquid from the onion so it didn’t really brown. If you do get browning you will use the water to scrape the brown bits off the pot. Press cancel to stop the cooking process.
- Add the bell pepper, tomato paste, butternut squash, salt, mustard, and about 4-6 grinds of pepper. Do not stir the ingredients.
- Put a trivet in the Instant Pot and place the pierced sweet potatoes on top.
- Cook on Pressure Cook at high for 20 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. (That means to leave the Instant Pot alone for 10 minutes while it releases the steam withOUT you touching the release valve.) After 10 minutes see if the pressure indicator is up. If so you can open it. If not you need to release the pressure using the valve.
- Take out the sweet potatoes and set them aside.
- Mash the butternut squash into the mixture and stir in all of the ingredients.
- Turn the Instant Pot back on to sauté until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Add spices as needed.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scoop out a little bit of the insides of the sweet potatoes out and set aside for leftovers. Fill the sweet potatoes with the mixture and sprinkle garnish on as desired.
Serve and enjoy! These also are wonderful for leftovers. They can even be frozen for a CambiatiClean on the go recipe.
Make it vegan by adding lentils instead of turkey. Remember to pre-soak your lentils to remove anti-nutrients.
Let us know what you think in the comments below and make sure to send your photos.