This slow-cooked chicken and tomato recipe is altered from PaleoHacks. This recipe is a yummy CambiatiClean take on a classic. It has more heat than I expected but it was the perfect amount for me. This also may have been due to me using red pepper powder rather than red pepper flakes. If you don’t like any heat then omit or cut down the red pepper flakes. The original recipe said 15 minutes of prep, but it took me a bit longer. This cost me $3 per serving to make based on this being 6 servings. Quick tip: I had leftover tomato paste and vegetable broth which I froze for later use.
- 1.5 lbs chicken (8 servings for a CambiatiClean female, 4 servings for a CambiatiClean male)
- 2 t of olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 1 1/2 t of dried oregano
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced (add more if you love garlic)
- 1/4 t of red pepper flakes (more or less depending on your spice preference)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 lb of cremini or white mushrooms, quartered if large, halved if small
Cook the oil, onions, tomato paste, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan until the onions are soft. Put the onion mixture into the crockpot. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, and mushrooms. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the crockpot. (For extra flavor you can brown the chicken with the onions then add to the crockpot). Mix everything together. Cover and cook on low for four to six hours. For a thicker sauce, cook on low for 5 hours and turn heat to high for 1 more hour. Serve over cauliflower rice, brown rice, or roasted veggies.