Smokey BBQ Tofu Bacon
I was craving smoky flavors but wasn’t in the mood for a heavy meaty meal. My creative juices were flowing and then this plant based BBQ creation was born!
Liquid smoke is one of my secret go-to ingredients for making anything taste like it was just pulled off the BBQ. Check out my favorite Liquid smoke brand below.
This Smoky BBQ Tofu is great in a wrap, on the side of a salad, chopped up into bits on top of a soup or is excellent to enjoy on its own. This is a plant based take on a classic favorite and the unique flavors of this marinade are perfect for your next backyard summer gathering or afternoon brunch!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
-8 oz extra-firm Organic tofu
-1 Tbsp Liquid smoke
-1/4 cup “soy” sauce (or any gluten free option)
-1 tbsp tomato paste
-1 tbsp ground black pepper
-tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp smoked paprika
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Drain liquid from the tofu. Place tofu on a plate with a paper towel on top and bottom. Place a heavy object on top of the towel to press out the excess liquid. Let sit while preparing the marinade.
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a metal rack on top of the baking sheet. This will ensure even cooking and the baking sheet will catch any drippings. (hello easy clean up).
- Whisk together the Liquid smoke, “soy” sauce, avocado oil, tomato paste, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, salt and garlic powder.
- Cut the tofu into thin bacon like strips. (The thinner the crispier). Dip each slice into the marinade, then place on the rack. Repeat steps until all strips are evenly spaced on the rack. You will have leftover marinate, set this aside.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and gently flip over the tofu. Dab remaining marinate on the flip side of your bacon strips. Place rack back into oven and bake for another 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. (Keep your oven light on to make sure they don’t burn!)
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
We love this liquid Smoke:
Let us know how enjoy your smokey BBQ tofu bacon and what you think of this recipe in the comments below.